Home · MMA · BREAKING

McGregor Knee Surgery: What Is Left After 69 Seconds

The McGregor knee surgery is done, and it is the fifth of his career. Conor McGregor’s comeback at UFC 329 on July 11 lasted 69 seconds before his knee gave out against Max Holloway. A month of conspiracy theories, medical debate and retirement calls later, he is out of the operating room and aiming at summer 2027. Here is what actually happened, and what is realistically left.

Ce qu'il faut retenir

Sixty-nine seconds: how the McGregor knee surgery became inevitable

The fight that never started

McGregor walked to the octagon at T-Mobile Arena on July 11 for the first time in five years. The rematch with Max Holloway, thirteen years after their first meeting, was the biggest ticket the UFC had sold all year. It lasted 69 seconds. He landed wrong in the opening exchanges, damaged the leg, and could not continue.

The cruelty of it is in the symmetry. The first Holloway fight, in Boston in 2013, is where McGregor tore his ACL in the middle of the round, refused to stop, leaned on a wrestling game nobody knew he had and still won a unanimous decision. Thirteen years later the same knee ended the rematch before either man had thrown anything meaningful.

The month of conspiracy theories

The internet did what it does. Within hours, some accused McGregor of arriving injured, others of manufacturing the injury to collect a payday. Israel Adesanya publicly said he believed the Irishman was hurt before he stepped in. Michael Chandler came to his defence. McGregor addressed the theories himself. A sports medicine physician then questioned the reported ACL and meniscus diagnosis in a video that circulated widely, which kept the argument alive for another week.

None of that noise changes the medical file. Whatever the timeline, the knee needed rebuilding, and in early August he confirmed he was going under the knife.

The fifth surgery, and the twelve-month clock

What was announced

McGregor revealed the operation himself, then posted afterwards that it had gone excellent and that he was on the road to recovery. It is the fifth surgery of his career and the second on that knee. Dana White has already ruled him out for a year. McGregor’s own target is summer 2027, which means the two positions are not as far apart as the headlines suggest: roughly twelve months of rehabilitation either way.

He is selling the recovery the way he has always sold everything. He named Tom Brady and a handful of UFC greats as the comebacks motivating him, and signed off with “The Mac is back, baby”. At 37, coming off five years out and straight into a rebuilt knee, that is a considerable amount of confidence to place on a single tendon.

The retirement argument, made out loud

Not everyone is buying it. Alistair Overeem, who knows exactly what a long career costs, told him to retire and said his body was finished years ago. An MMA analyst put it more clinically: McGregor will not be the same fighter after this one. On the other side, a UFC Hall of Famer backed him to return, arguing he is not going out like that.

Both positions can be true. He can come back, and he can come back diminished. The 2013 version fought a full three rounds on a torn ACL. The 2026 version could not stand up on it for a minute.

The Mac is back, baby.

What a comeback would actually look like

The trilogy he wants, and the one he may not get

McGregor has already named his target: a third fight with Holloway, framed as “The Last Dance”, with the line that what was meant to be a generational beating is now simply reset. Dana White is not entertaining it. Dustin Poirier, retired since last year, floated a quadrilogy instead. That is three men negotiating in public over a fight that cannot be booked for twelve months.

The business case is still enormous. McGregor remains the biggest name the sport has produced, and a healthy comeback fight sells whatever the record says. The sporting case is thinner every year. He has not won since January 2020, and his last two appearances ended with a broken leg and a blown-out knee, both in the first round of the fight.

What to watch over the next twelve months

Watch the rehab milestones rather than the interviews. Full weight bearing, then cutting and pivoting, then a real training camp. Watch whether the UFC books an opponent at all, because that is the only signal that means anything. And watch the age: a 38-year-old returning from a second ACL reconstruction is a different athlete from the one who knocked out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds.

Career records, finish rates and full fight histories for McGregor, Holloway and everyone else in the conversation are in the FightHub app, updated as the news lands. Download it, look at the timeline for yourself, and decide what a 2027 comeback is really worth.

Toute l'actu MMA dans une seule app

News, profils, events, stats et classements. Tout l’univers du combat dans ta poche.

Rejoins gratuitement plus de 
20k+ utilisateurs

Other pages
Contact us

Your feedback shapes FightHub,
don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Copyright © 2026 - FightHub